Thursday, May 29, 2014

Lean On Me

I watched my shadow slinking across the dirt road as only the
 stars and a few of the gentle giants looked my way.

My bare feet squeaked in my Muck boots and I gripped tightly onto my flashlight.

On this beautifully quiet Sunday night, my mind was still swirling
 with thoughts from the week before and the week to come. 

This had been a particularly long week.

I wasn't quite able to reach that goal I had set.


And a time or two I felt very small.



Sometimes the gate I needed through was shut.


And I left the wrong one open.


That one thing was so big I couldn't see past it.


While I had almost missed another right before my eyes.





Then just out of the blue, on a sunny Sunday afternoon I saw this.

Check out the cow on the right

While waiting to be milked, this sweet girl had gotten tired.
But she didn't just lie down.
She didn't push through the line so she could have an earlier turn.
She patiently waited, leaning on her steadfast friend.

And it struck me standing there in the parlor.
It's not about what makes the weeks long or the days hard.
It's about who we have walking with us.

"Lean on me, when you're not strong,


I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on.


For it won't be long,
 'til I'm gonna need, 
Somebody to lean on."

And as I walked under the stars that Sunday night I kept singing

"Lean on me, when you're not strong..."






2 comments: