Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Beat Goes On

"If you can't fly, then run. If you can't run, then walk. If you can't walk, then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." 
-Martin Luther King Jr.



When I sat down to write today, I intended to give you a report on how our week has been at the farm. I sat at my small desk in the upstairs of my house where I could see the snow falling outside.  As I sat there pondering the week, I realized I didn't know where one week had ended and another begin. I couldn't recall the usual routine of the week because there isn't one. I remember the chores and events and meetings in clear detail, but they all seem to be in one endless week. One endless month. One endless year. Constantly moving, going, doing, working.

This morning during my routine of "coffee in the quiet", I realized I was sad that I had not had time to look up any inspiration in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. yesterday. I had heard a few quotes during Sundays sermon, but I needed to find the right one for me that would help me remember the life of such an inspiring person. I was a little jealous of those who had been off yesterday. In my mind it seemed like I was the only one who had not had time to reflect on the life of such a wonderful and inspiring person. I had just spent yesterday what felt like fighting to keep my head above water, much less trying to be a better person.

Then I saw a series of words that summed up the past few weeks of my life in such a complete way that it almost brought tears to my eyes.

"Can't fly, run.
 Can't run, walk.
 Can't walk, crawl.
 Just. Keep. Moving."

Oh how it feels like I have done all those things lately. Sometimes things have been moving so quickly I can't keep up. Other times I feel like I am the steam engine pulling a loaded train up the mountain.

For those of you who don't know, our family is in the process of building a new facility for our dairy herd.
Up to this point, it has been the most fun, terrifying, longest, hardest, rewarding thing I have ever worked towards accomplishing in my life. And there aren't even any trusses up yet.

We are currently in the process of turning our plans into a reality and we've only run into one snafu.

There are only blueprints for the buildings.

There are none for what to do when the weather is bad and the crew has already been rescheduled once.

There are none for what to do when you have more calves than will fit in the old barn when the new one isn't done yet.

There are none for what to do when you don't know what to do next.

So below I have written an update from the past week.
There were days when things were moving forward and smiles were abundant.
There were days when to keep moving at all felt like it took every last drop of energy we had.

But keep moving we did and keep moving we will.




Week of January 13-20:

On a Saturday, there was the old sweet cow who had a breech calf. A half a day spent. He didn't make it.
The next day, there were three more new ones. Alive and well.

On a Monday there was rain.
 A lot of rain. A lot of doubt. A lot of phone calls.





 But after a little juggling, a lot of loads of rock and a bit of stress, the trucks made it in and out and footers were poured! I may have experienced every range of human emotion in one day.





On Tuesday there was sunshine, lots of bottles to feed, herd check, and meetings. I was so dirty by lunch I went home to change jeans and realized there was some cow manure dried on my face. At least it missed my pink hat.





As the week moved on more block was laid. More dirt was moved. 


The sun kept shining and the men kept working. Finally things were moving at a faster pace. 


While things were going well, Scott and I took the opportunity to go and pick up a piece of equipment and some supplies in Pennsylvania and Maryland. A few long days later, we were both happy to see Exit 98 and home not far past it. Road trips aren't as fun with a goose neck trailer and a sick husband.


The beginning of this week, we took a moment one evening to go out to the site and just take it in. 
I walked around the beginnings of what will be the milk room and office, already planning out where things will go. So far the break room is as far as I have gotten :) 


We were happily surprised to find that the grading appears to be near completion.
Pictures of dirt have never seemed so exciting before!


Today brought in another cold snap and a little snow with it. 


I had a nice visit with Sugar Baby before lunch time. She was being shy for the camera. 


Work is continuing in the calf barn which is nearing completion! 


"And the beat goes on..."











No comments:

Post a Comment